Mittie A. Pullam Elementary
Pullam Elementary bears the name of Mittie Pullam, a beloved teacher, who moved to Brownsville in 1947 during the days of desegregation. She helped found Fredrick Douglass School on E. Fronton Street to serve local black children. Ms. Pullam taught every grade level from 1st-6th and also served as the principal. This highly successful school was incorporated into Skinner Elementary in the 1960’s. Ms. Pullam continued inspiring students at Skinner until her retirement in 1975. Her devotion to students touched countless generations and inspired a grassroots campaign to name a school in her honor. Jay Harris served as the first principal of Pullam Elementary.